• You cannot reply to this topic

Full Support Priest Guide

#1 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

***UPDATE

I am currently INACTIVE in RO2. COA can still be bugged and I already have all the colosseum gear I need. I will remain inactive until new content is released.

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my full support priest guide. I previously played a priest healer in World of Warcraft and thoroughly enjoyed it and have thus decided to continue playing a priest moving on into RO2. Over the course of this guide, I will cover what I believe to be the ideal skill builds as a full support priest as well as some tips on healing in raids and dungeons. As stated, this is a FULL SUPPORT priest guide and as such I will not be covering hybrid or damage skill builds.

My priest! Currently Dps =D

Posted Image

The Skill Build

The basic cookie cutter build I feel for a Lv50 Priest Healer should look something like this http://www.ro2skills...odDrbqnadeBooqA or http://www.ro2skills...dDrbqnadeBroqA. There are many possible variations in skill builds such as http://www.ro2skills...odDrbqnadeDrBqN (as a priest in a raid with another priest already providing max blessing). I believe these are some of the more stable priest builds available, providing sufficient single target healing and utility.

Someone requested that I include how to level skill points as you level. Rather than give a step by step guide as to which point to add at each level I thought it would be more appropriate to explain why you would level something earlier and others later and let people decide for themselves how to wish to level.

Personally I rushed straight for aspersio and maxed it asap. x3 crits for holy light is huge for killing mobs and will help you level faster than other skill at this point in the game.

Next thing I maxed renovatio. Renovatio allows me to focus on my damage without having to worry about my health as it outheals most monsters of a similar level.

Then I got blessing(max) to provide buffs, followed by picking up meditatio and highness heal(just 1 point).

From here, I actually save my points. The reason I did this is so that I can pick up archangel straight away when I become a priest. The additional MATK helps me to deal more damage and quest faster. Even as I become a priest, after picking up coluceo heal, I continue picking up suffragium which helps with damage. Later on I then pick up assumptio, sanctuary and other healing output spells as dungeons become more difficult to manage.

Of course there is no and fast to level your skills but this is what I did to try and level quickly. If you are leveling in a party, perhaps picking up more healing and utility could be a better option for you.

Healing Tree

x5 Heal - Many would debate having 5 points in heal given the low percentage increase in heal per level. Depending on your role in dungeons/raids, a Tank healer would definitely want to pick up the 5 points in heal. For a tank healer, the main healing spell used would be heal. Under such circumstances, the 13% overall increase on heal compared to 25% increased MATK from Archangel on a 90s cd would likely net a higher amount of healing done. Unless you are raid healing with renovatio and highness heal, the 5 points in heal are highly recommended.

x3 Renovatio - 3 points in Renovatio is a definite must. Large amount of healing done over time and an instant cast. One of the key healing spells in a priest's arsenal.

x1 Meditatio - Meditatio is something that scales better as your gear improves. Gear that will allow meditatio to outweigh the benefits of archangel in terms of healing output are not available in the current raid content as such the one point here is sufficient. The scaling after the first point in meditatio is very poor and investing a further 4 points is not worth it.

x5 Highness Heal - Highness heal is an amazing raid healing spell and I would almost insist having 5 points in here. I use Aspersio with highness heal very often to top the tank + melee or just nearby raid members and the healing output is very high for an instant cast spell.

x5 Sacrement - 10% addition healing on all your spells? yes please! its basically a 10% increase in healing output and I see no reason not to put the 5 points here.

x1 Coluceo Heal - I only place 1 point in Coluceo heal because the cooldown reduction does not make up for the loss in overall healing output.

x5 Assumptio - 5 points into Assumptio is a necessity (40% dmg reduction for 10s) and works as an amazing cooldown for helping allies or even yourself survive stuff like meteors(The giant blue circle)or other damaging boss mechanics or helping tanks live through periods of massive damage eg. Hardmode Humbaba 200% damage increase. Also its on a 2min cd which is relatively short.

x1 Sanctuary - I have placed 1 into Sanctuary as I believe 1 point in this area is sufficient. I primarily use it as a raid cooldown with aspersio providing 15% extra health to the raid on boss mechanics where there is raid wide damage ie hardmode gearsaw, hardmode baphomet. Lv1 Sanctuary also can heal the raid adequately (mine heals for 1.5k+ per tick at level 1 and that is sufficiently fast most of the time. Having 1 point in here for an extra raid cooldown is something I would definitely not recommend forgoing.

Utility Tree

x5 Blessing - If you are the only priest in the raid this is an absolute necessity. 15% extra hp to the entire raid is too good to miss out on. HOWEVER, if there is another priest in the raid with maxed blessing, you can afford to skip the points in blessing and place them elsewhere instead. For my raid, I run with x5 blessing as the tank healer while the raid healing priest in my raid drops points in heal and blessing to pick up archangel and angelus. If you have a stable raid group with another priest providing the blessing buff, dropping points here for greater utility or healing power is definitely something to consider.

x1 Increase Agility - Useful Spell to help with raid repositioning but not worth extra points to reduce its cooldown. Also necessary in order to take spells further down the tree.

x1 Resurrection - Some people may feel that 3 points in resurrection are useful but personally i feel the points can be put to better use elsewhere. Having a quicker resurrection cd is nice but half an hour is still an awfully long time and I would much prefer to have increase healing output elsewhere so that I don't have to resort to this spell.

x1 Aqua Benedicta - Provides Holy water and restores mana. Definitely will want to have the point in here.

x3 Aspersio - Combining Aspersio with many spells provides for excellent healing output boosts as well as a raid cooldown with sanctuary. The reduced cooldown on aspersio translates into increased healing output. 3 points are a must here.

x3 Gloria - Personally I love having instant cast heals. It gives me great mobility being able to pop out a heal while I reposition myself at times. In addition. I usually use aqua benedicta when I see I have the gloria buff so I know I can react to any tank damage instantly with the instant cast heal.

x1 Recovery - A dispel and a point that is required to go further down the tree.

x5 Suffragium - 10% haste is a big boost to overall healing output and while some people may not feel the effects of the increased haste, it actually allow you to squeeze out extra casts and some of those may just be life saving!

x1 Angelus - A near useless defensive cooldown generally not worth the loss in healing output as the damage reduction is not that high. (Given a defense of 20% you gain 9% of 20% from the cd which gives a meagre 1.8% damage reduction. Given that it is on a 2minute cd and the dmg reduction is so low, the 1 point here is the only point you will want in here, and only just because you want to pick up archangel.

x4 Archangel - 20% MATK is always a great boost. Dropping further points in skills such as sacrement/saffragium/heal to max this out are possible but do note that your overall healing output will take a minor hit in exchange for better utility. This comes down to personal preference and for myself I prefer to keep 4 points in this area.

Archangel Or Meditatio - This is quite a common question that I have been asked by many players in game and I must say that after going through the wealth of information that Justcalv has provided (https://docs.google....xam9Ca2c#gid=12), I strongly believe that Archangel is probably the better choice, especially for those of you who have recently started raiding and are mostly in blues or non-hm purples. Given that meditatio scales with gear while archangel is a flat percentage gain at all gear levels, Archangel is the definite better choice. The only time we would switch over to max out meditatio is in a scenario where our gear gets ridiculous and we achieve insane amounts of hit and crit. However that does not seem feasible with the current raid content ahead of us.

Do note that there is no one single correct way to play your full support priest (but please don't place all your points in the attack tree and call yourself a full support priest. ^^) There are many skill build variations that are viable depending on what each raid needs. Take note of what your own raid needs and build your priest to best support them.

Stat Points

I am currently running with 36int/36agi/25vit (as recommended by silvach) I think it is a solid build that will help provide you with sufficient hp to tackle the current raid bosses without sacrificing too much output. Other builds are viable but do have an idea why you are building a particular stat build. For example you may choose to drop vitality if you have no requirement for the additional hitpoints if you have sufficient hitpoints from gear. (Although that is quite unrealistic in the current content patch)

Card Choice

Previously I felt that poisona/poisona+ cards would be the best option for priests. However, I have now switched over to Scratch Thief Normal+ which provide +8 all stats except vit which is +21. The main reason is that in the current raid content, unavoidable damage in boss fights can amount to 5-6k. Without a health pool in excess of 6k, it is almost impossible to do the bosses in hardmode arena. For my raid, many of us have decided to switch over to get more vitality as well as farm for the 15% health increase temporary buff to jacket/chest (last for 90mins). This has been our way of coping with the hp requirements for some of the bossfights. Of course, if you merely wish for greater healer output, you can continue to run with poisona cards, but just make sure you have enough hp for the content you are attempting.

Many of you have also listed rare cards as possible options. For rare cards, I would recommend the assassin elder card/ dostoev/ solomian. Either of those are great options with the assassin elder being my top pick. Still, for those who are new to raiding, I would definitely recommend the scratch thief normal+ as a starter. Decent stats and good vitality on those cards make it a great pick.

Rune Choice

I have 5 Int runes in all my sockets as Int is our primary stat. However vitality can be a possible option if you really need additional hitpoints in order to survive certain boss mechanics. Agi can also be viable once you have so much int that the 5 agi scales better than the int. I am not sure what that threshold is but I will do some math in my free time and update my guide accordingly.

Tips for beginners!

- Maintain Renovatio on Tank
- Precast Sanctuary with Aspersio just before raid wide aoe hits. It will help ensure your raid's survival
- Refresh holy water or cast aspersio when you have gloria buff up so that you can instant heal straight after if needed since you will have to stop healing to use aqua benedicta
- If you need to resurrect, try to use it with aspersio so you have an instant resurrection. Casting resurrection for 3 seconds could cost you another raid member's life.

Thank you for reading through my guide. I hope that this has given you some insights with regards to how you should build your priest. Do feel free to comment and leave suggestions or questions! I will try my best to answer questions and update/refine the guide!

*** If people want, I can start to provide guides or tips with regards to healing the different boss fights. My experience however is limited to 7/7 arena normal 4/4normal baphomet 4/4 hardmode baphomet and im still getting killed by hardmode gearsaw. =( But do let me know if you have any bosses you have difficulty with and would like to request some tips for the fight, if there is enough demand I will try to make time to churn something out for you guys. Cheers!

*** Oh Pink is a nice colour and Pillows are comfortable. (:

This post has been edited by ggnoobnore: 22 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   AngelJuliet 

• Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Nice guide :) thanks for the tips, may i ask but profession did u choose?

#3 User is offline   Satire 

• Achiever
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Verified Members

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

ggnoobnore, on 20 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

x5 Sanctuary - 10% addition healing on all your spells? yes please! its basically a 10% increase in healing output and I see no reason not to put the 5 points here.

You made a typo on Sacrament.
Full Support Priest/Alchemist
Hybrid Sorcerer/Chef
Jormungand

#4 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Oops! Edited. Anyway I'll probably put all the skills descriptions etc as well when I have the time.

And I'm a chef but I think that alchemist would have probably been the best option. As a full support priest its difficult to farm for materials for obvious reasons. =p

#5 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Nice guide you have here.
Anyway if i may just add on, i have created a spreadsheet which can help to determine our healing output in relation with the respective skill lv, Matk and Excess hit rate (used in determining the effect of meditatio)

https://docs.google....azlJeFRxam9Ca2c

I believe this is fairly accurate and by seeing the actual trade off (in terms of heal amount), it will be useful in deciding on your ideal skill build.

Edit: Fix the cell referencing. It should now be downloadable and ready to use.
Edit2: Rejoice. I have included a public dropbox link to the aforementioned Excel Spreadsheet here
https://dl.dropbox.c...%28v2.1%29.xlsx

This Excel Spreadsheet has additional Conditional Formatting which will make understanding the Tabulated data easier.
(Just simply take note of the Orange highlighted boxes)

This post has been edited by Justcalv: 22 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

#6 User is offline   Altariel 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Very nice guide! And that is exactly the skill build I'm using I'm happy someone agrees with me! :P

I've a couple of healing tips myself too:

1) Don't blindly spam the heal button on your tank. Hitting the button once per cast will do; hitting the button more than once per cast may result in a second heal on the tank which could go to another party member in need of it.

2) Aspersio + Highness Heal I feel is better than Aspersio + 3x Heal even for single target healing. Reasons are that if your Highness Heal crits, it'll probably top the tank back up to full, and even without the crit, the extra heal over time will help tremendously when stacked with Renovatio. Not to mention you're still able to spam Heal (which can crit) after a Highness Heal, whereas the Aspersio + 3x Heal combo sorta just locks you into healing 3 times.

3) Do not spam Renovatio blindly especially when panicking. Try to keep mental tabs on the duration of each cast. A Renovatio at the wrong time may delay your healing and cost someone's life.

4) Get the melee DPS to stand very close to the tank, and the ranged DPS to stand very close to yourself to ensure you cover the entire party with Highness Heal.

5) Know who to heal when. Yes you just got hit by that devastating AOE but your melee DPS being very much closer to the boss are a priority if you know another AOE will only happen much later. Drop Renovatio on yourself and use Highness Heal on the melee DPS. If you can afford to, heal yourself only when Gloria activates and use potions (omg, never knew you could do that right?).

6) Recognizing animations or debuffs (they usually appear first) that lead to an AOE helps you precast Aspersio first. If you're good enough, you can actually start casting Highness Heal split seconds before the AOE hits so that your heals land immediately.

7) If you haven't a better use for Increase AGI, in an emergency, cast it and dash straight into your melee DPS and activate Sanctuary. The extra speed boost helps everyone gather fast enough to have their lives saved.

8) Based on the situation, Aspersio + Sanctuary may not be the best combo. Sanctuary followed by Aspersio and Highness Heal may be a better lifesaver.

9) You can actually move around while casting Heal. Just hold down the directional key once your 1 second cast finishes (when your character is locked in the casting animation). Pretty trivial feature but very useful in tough situations when you need to back off from summons while still keeping the healing up.

10) Do not be afraid to use Assumptio. 2 minutes is actually a lot shorter than you think.

This post has been edited by Altariel: 21 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

#7 User is offline   Farrence 

• Novice
  • Pip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

Very Nice guy. Hmm Suffragium on a 1 sec casting is 0.9 sec, It dont feel anything on this except on the resurrection which have a 4 sec casting.

How about Archangel over Sacrament? unless have both I guess, which would make a 35% (theorically speaking). Archangel rise matk by 25% and since heal is based on matk alone I guess is still much better than Sacrament.

#8 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Archangel over sacrement is a possbility. Sacrement provides a flat 10% increase to healing and a minimum of 1 point is a necessity to go further down the healing tree. Archangel provides a 25% MATK boost but last for 30s on a 90s cd. since archangel can be up at only a maximum of 1/3 of the time if used on CD it provides a lower overall healing output that the flat 10%. In addition, going down to archangel requires points in angelus and all these points could mean missing out of other important points elsewhere. Archangel can provide a nice cooldown if you know the raid may be taking heavy damage soon and the addition MATK can help keep people alive so I would say its situational. But for the most part I prefer to stick to Sacrement. My raid runs with 1 priest more cooldown/raid healing based (but he drops blessing/heal to get points in Archangel/Angelus) where as I usually tank heal so I prefer the consistent healing output. If needed I usually pop an Intel Boost potion which gives me bonus Int for 30s to help with healing. Doesnt give as much MATK but still helps a little if I feel I am in a situation where I was missing AA. =p

Also for Suffragium, people really don't feel the effects of increased haste. But over a long fight, you actually will end up squeezing in extra casts here and there which can be crucial to raid survival. I tried dropping suffragium to go into Archangel before but I did feel some difference in healing when I changed over to pick up the extra haste. Those expensive skill reset scrolls. >.<

#9 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have my doubts on Sacrament vs Arcangel but as a full support, you may want to max both imo. As said earlier, arcangel is a really impressive skill due to the massive boost it gives to your base Matk. More often than not, speaking from my own experience, the additional boost in heal every 60 secs (90sec cd, 30 sec uptime) is great.
This is especially so if there's another priest along with arcangel. With proper rotation, i think it is way better than sacrament, but that is just my opinion.

Having said that, if i am to go full support (i'm currently a somewhat hybrid with lv 1 credo and oratio), this will most likely be my preferred skill build: http://www.ro2skills...odDrbqnadeBroqA

Note that i personally do not believe that Meditatio is worthwhile enough for that extra 4 sp as seen from my heal table calculation.
The hit rate i'm having right now is about 97.92%, and that is with full lv 50 hard mode equips (including the weapon)
Not quite sure where the hit rate will be if one is using all epic equipments but lets just say that if it hit 100% hit rate, the difference in crit heal is imo still fairly weak as compared to the extra situational ability you get from arcangel or if comparing to sacrament, a higher mean heal amount overall (not just crit).

(Note that the calculation of the effect of meditatio is based only on some testing down at lv 0 and lv 1 meditatio, so IT may not be accurate but i do believe its a good approximate for the time being till someone else can provide evidence/actual data that the effect of meditatio at higher skill lv acts differently or follows a different mechanic)

#10 User is offline   Altariel 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Meditatio is only worth it if you go full AGI build to max out your critical rate. I'm pretty sure epic equipment will get you close to 100% hit rate, and I read somewhere that you can exceed 100%. Assuming 100% hit rate, Mediatio will give a 25% boost to all critical heals, somewhat like a passive Archangel that affects crits only.

#11 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Altariel, on 21 January 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Meditatio is only worth it if you go full AGI build to max out your critical rate. I'm pretty sure epic equipment will get you close to 100% hit rate, and I read somewhere that you can exceed 100%. Assuming 100% hit rate, Mediatio will give a 25% boost to all critical heals, somewhat like a passive Archangel that affects crits only.

That is slightly incorrect. Lets do a comparison between choosing lv 5 Arcangel and lv 5 Meditatio
Keeping:
1. Heal lv constant at lv 5
2. Hit rate of 100%
3. Unbuff base Matk of 1500

Taking base Matk at 1500(w/o arcangel)
A lv 5 Heal will give a mean heal amount of 0.43*1500=645
With lv 5 Meditatio, The mean Crit heal amount will be 645*(2+0.25)=1451.25

Now, comparing it to a base Matk at 1875(with arcangel, 1500*1.25)
A lv 5 Heal will give a mean heal amount of 0.43*1875=806.25
With lv 1 Meditatio, The mean Crit heal amount wil be 806.25*(2+0.17)=1749.56

Notice the difference is as bright as day, it isn't even close to the effectiveness of ArcAngel.
Also note that the crit modifier difference between a lv 1 and lv 5 Meditatio will only be 0.08 or 8% difference. (0.25 at lv 5 compared to 0.17 at lv 1)
This is why i'm fairly against adding meditatio.
This is off course Assuming the calculation for the effect of Meditatio is correct.

Edit: It will be great if any1 can provide more actual data of crit heal amount at higher lv of meditatio... But judging from the lack of response (as seen from my original thread), I'm not exactly hopeful for it anyway.

In any case, the info required will be as follows:
1. MATK
2. Hit Rate
3. Meditatio skill lv
4. Heal lv
5. Sacrament lv (if any)
6. A range of 50 heals or more on yourself, providing only the lowest and highest heal amount you see from the sample of 50 heals
Also, please do provide the actual number (down to the ones, NOT rounded off to the tens) as even such minimum differences will make a difference to the calculations.
(This is because the numbers here are not BIG in the first place, rounding off to the tens will cause a significant difference in calculations)

P.S Sorry for hijacking the thread. If the TS wants it to be deleted, please do not hesitate to tell me.

This post has been edited by Justcalv: 21 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

#12 User is offline   Altariel 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hmm it seems you're right. I forgot to take into account that players who do not choose to max Meditatio still have Lv 1 of it.

Either way I wasn't ready to back up my supposition with figures; I was just making a qualitative statement to liken the effect of Meditatio to Archangel, albeit inaccurately.

#13 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hmm. Regarding meditatio I feel it is debatable because it relies heavily on your gear level at the time. I would say though for most people on the SEA servers which opened recently that Justcalv has a very valid point if his calculations are accurate and meditatio indeed works as he says.

So lets say you gain 15% MATK from archangel with 33% up time (given 30s uptime for every 90s) it increases total overall output by approximately 5%. Given that the difference between Lv5 and Lv1 Meditatio values is 8% increased healing on critical heals(Given a 100% hit rate). Given a crit rate of 20% it would give me a 1.6% total bonus on critical heals from Meditatio. It is a very large healing output gain discrepancy when you compare the two. This healing gain is even lower for those who have poorer gear (low hit & crit) which makes archangel a stronger choice. Do note that archangel is more like to have sometime like a 20-25% up time most of the time as it is rarely used on CD so the gain to overall healing output is closer to 3-4% but still significantly higher than having meditatio while your gear provides you with 100%hit and 20%crit.

I can comepletely understand Justcalv's point of view. At lower gear levels, especially those who are still trying out normal mode raids, you will not have access to the gear that gives you higher gains from meditatio. Also for those who do not use heal enough to justify the gains from meditatio it may be wise to place those points elsewhere. Archangel is a very viable choice and probably optimal at lower gear levels since it gives a flat gain for all gear levels. Unless people can start pushing closer to 30+% crit AND 101+% (highly unlikely if you are on the SEA server) the meditatio heal gain is likely to pale in comparison to the archangel gains.

Anyway, keep the comments coming guys. I am happy to continue to discuss and debate the possible skill builds for priests so that we can find an optimal one that suits our raid's needs. =)

On a side note, Justcalv, I did some testing on your calculations for meditatio and I am quite confident that you are doing it the right way. The range of heals / crit heals seem to fit the bill. Will make some edits to the guide to reflect the results of these calculations.

This post has been edited by ggnoobnore: 21 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

#14 User is offline   z3Zeys 

• Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Nice Guide! As expected of the #1 Priest in WoW.

#15 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

ggnoobnore, on 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Hmm. Regarding meditatio I feel it is debatable because it relies heavily on your gear level at the time. I would say though for most people on the SEA servers which opened recently that Justcalv has a very valid point if his calculations are accurate and meditatio indeed works as he says.

So lets say you gain 15% MATK from archangel with 33% up time (given 30s uptime for every 90s) it increases total overall output by approximately 5%. Given that the difference between Lv5 and Lv1 Meditatio values is 8% increased healing on critical heals(Given a 100% hit rate). Given a crit rate of 20% it would give me a 1.6% total bonus on critical heals from Meditatio. It is a very large healing output gain discrepancy when you compare the two. This healing gain is even lower for those who have poorer gear (low hit & crit) which makes archangel a stronger choice. Do note that archangel is more like to have sometime like a 20-25% up time most of the time as it is rarely used on CD so the gain to overall healing output is closer to 3-4% but still significantly higher than having meditatio while your gear provides you with 100%hit and 20%crit.

I can comepletely understand Justcalv's point of view. At lower gear levels, especially those who are still trying out normal mode raids, you will not have access to the gear that gives you higher gains from meditatio. Also for those who do not use heal enough to justify the gains from meditatio it may be wise to place those points elsewhere. Archangel is a very viable choice and probably optimal at lower gear levels since it gives a flat gain for all gear levels. Unless people can start pushing closer to 30+% crit AND 101+% (highly unlikely if you are on the SEA server) the meditatio heal gain is likely to pale in comparison to the archangel gains.

Anyway, keep the comments coming guys. I am happy to continue to discuss and debate the possible skill builds for priests so that we can find an optimal one that suits our raid's needs. =)

On a side note, Justcalv, I did some testing on your calculations for meditatio and I am quite confident that you are doing it the right way. The range of heals / crit heals seem to fit the bill. Will make some edits to the guide to reflect the results of these calculations.

Firstly, thanks for reassuring my calculations for Meditatio.

Next, I will like to say that ArcAngel will still prove to be superior even if one has all the possible Best End Game Epic equips from Hard Mode Raid Dungeons (that's a mouthful...).
This is because there is simply NO WAY (not that i know of) that a priest can reach 100% Hit Rate currently... As prove i have prepared yet another spread sheet to bring across my point.

This spreadsheet is done assuming that I'm able to muscle out all Hard Mode raid Dungeons Epic Equips (including Accessories)
(This is based only on the currently available PVE arena and Bapho raid dungeons equips, also known as the Prontera raid dungeons)
https://docs.google....xam9Ca2c#gid=13

As seen, there will still be a lack of 40 hits. The best Hit rate a priest at lv 50 can get will be ~99% for the time being, still a far shot away from 100% and above...

Not withstanding the above point, ArcAngel itself modifies our Base Matk which is much much more Scalable, and will provide a higher return/benefit than the Meditatio skill modifier.
In other words, ArcAngel will benefit as much if not MORE than Meditatio from any equipment upgrades.

Regarding crit rate, i have not done much digging into it but i highly suspect that achieving a crit rate of 20% and above even with buff may not even be possible currently, given how priest's equips simply lack Agi in the first place. (perhaps with Pump it up hard pills, food and maestro dex pots, 20% is achievable but anything above... no way)

Even taking into consideration of the limited uptime of this skill, it's effect on our overall heal % is still better as you have already stated.
More importantly, i feel that its utility and usefulness in dire situation is what really make this skill shine, more so than Mediatio. IMO, Priest are all about bursty heals and basically being experts in dealing with contingencies. Sorcerer probably has a higher mean heal % than us overtime anyway (Due to their shorter cast time, cd and wind arms (if utilised))

This post has been edited by Justcalv: 21 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

#16 User is offline   Altariel 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

For those who don't fuss about numbers, I guess it's a matter of preference. I for one prefer to have to manage less skills and to have as many useful passives as possible. :)

#17 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Regarding crit rate, with buff food + raid buffs (no pump it up pills) I am already able to attain a crit rate above 20% which is actually why I assumed 20% for a crit rate in my calculations. I do however have some hardmode gear pieces which some people do not have access to. I currently have a 98.57% hit rate and I think it is quite likely that should go above 99% but probably not by too much. In this case for the prontera raid content I will have to agree that archangel is the way to go and I will make the necessary changes to my guide.

However, I disagree that archangel will always be superior to meditatio. Simply because archangel will always give 15% MATK (this is assuming removing 4 points from meditatio for now) and that results in a 5% increase in overall healing output at ALL LEVELS OF GEAR. But if in future raids, greater crit and hit values are obtainable say 50% crit and 105%hit ( I know these values are unrealistic but I'm just trying to highlight my point here) hit provides 16% increased healing amount on critical heals and assuming 50% crit rate it occurs half the time so a total of 8% healing output increase from heal. If that specific priest's role is as a tank healer, he is most likely going to be casting heal very often and using aspersio on heals as well. This will generate a higher increase in healing output from meditatio than archangel.

A level of gear where meditatio can outscale archangel is unlikely to occur even in the next stage of raid content so I guess moving the points from meditatio and into archangel is probably the best option. However, I wouldn't sacrifice further points from abilities such as sacrement or heal to max out archangel.

#18 User is offline   JuMbOfaT 

• Pip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

Great guide!

I was wondering between Sacrement AND Suffragium, which would you rather max out if I have to choose only 1 of them? And why?

** Reason why I am thinking of only choosing one of them to max and the other to stay at lvl1 is because, I am thinking whether or not Angelus needs to be max or just left at 1pt.
Would gladly hear more about your take on whether Angelus is a good skill to max.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Kramoh: 22 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

#19 User is offline   Khielson 

• Novice
  • Pip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

As a full support build, How to make him/her rich? I am once a battle priest and I can solo farm and get rare equipments and sell them in auction. After I hit 50, my friends tell me to change to FS Priest, and after time passes i keep on losing zenny. Not gaining at all. Maybe put a post in Recruit Tab and tell everyone that I am a priest for hire? 100z / Hour? Lol. I'm just worried because I don't know how to make my FS Priest to be rich.
Posted Image
Tagapagtangol ng RO2

#20 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Just to be sure, i'm afraid you made a mistake on the effect of lv 5 arc angel. Its a flat 25% increase in Matk, not 15%.
So taking into consideration 1/3 uptime, its about 8%++ increase in overall healing efficiency at all gear lvs and applies to all types of heals (not just crit)
Even comparing to the unrealistic 50% crit rate and 105% hit, I in all honestly do not see the + side of meditatio, given its very strict gear constraints.
At best, it MAY be the ideal END game build when one has all the epic gears (from future content), but its still a long mile away.

So from a min-max and efficiency point of view, I do believe as far as current content goes, Arcangel is the better choice (not withstanding the difference in play-style as Altariel as mentioned).
As a side note, it looks cool (or somewhat, lol)

As for comparing ArcAngel to Sacrament, i will think its more of a matter of preference and play-style as well.
While Sacrament provides a passive boost in heal bonus (note not Matk), the increment for each lv of investment is honestly disappointing (2% heal bonus per lv).
Whereas ArcAngel provides a 5% increase in Matk per lv, which is more bang for the bucks.

So taking into consideration that priest's heal tend towards being bursty (this is imo our traits and main role) and that a support Sorc will likely to have a higher healing efficiency than us over time.
My rationale / preference is to invest in skills which will improve on this main trait more effectively.

Side Note:Healing wave is 0.5 sec time (that is twice as fast as our heals), Rejunvenation has 8s cd (2sec faster than our Highness). Despite their skill Matk being 'slightly' lower, Sorc do have a higher raw base Matk overall and given a longer time frame (like during a raid boss encounter), their effective heal will most likely be higher. Note that i do not have any actual data regarding this so its just a gut feeling but i do firmly believe in so, especially comparing to a FUll support sorc.

But as said earlier, its all a manner of preference and i do see the merit in investing in a higher lv of heal (lv 5 vs lv 4) and Sacrament over ArcAngel (just that i'm currently on a hybrid build so i tend not to have extra sp)

So in terms of priority for the last few skill points, it will be as follows:
1. ArcAngel --> 2. Lv 5 Heal --> 3. Sacrament (wdev sp is left, which in the full support build i posted earlier, it should be about lv 4, not much of a loss as compared to lv 5)

As for making money in game, i honestly have no idea as well. I supposed for the time being, just do those daily which gives the best payout in terms of zeny. Or if you prefer to grind away, camp for Scratch Thief / Poisona cards but with lv 1 holy light, it will not be fun.

This post has been edited by Justcalv: 22 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

#21 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

archangel is 25% matk. but in order to attain 25% MATK you have to remove more than just 4 points from meditatio to attain Archangel. from most builds you will have to place 1 point into angelus and then you will be left with 3 points into archangel. each points in archangel is a 5% increase in MATK with a maximum of a 33% uptime with results in 1.67% overall increase in healing output per level. Sacrement is a flat 2% increase in healing output. Sacrement provides larger overall healing output, while archangel provides situational healing output bursts. I do agree that archangel does provide a great cd and is no doubt a viable build but for me I would not sacrifice sacrement to max out archangel. I do believe however, that this honestly comes down to preference and for me I prefer to run with the build that me the greatest healing output yet provides me with sufficient utility.

For my raids I run primary as a tank healer so I sit there spamming heals off the tank for the most part. I have found that tank damage is often quite consistent and aspersio+heal does more than sufficient 'burst' healing I need to keep my tanks alive.

As for full support sorcs, I have played with some before and usually they are placed in a raid healing role with short casts aiding them in topping people off quickly. I don't believe however that in terms of healing output, priests are in any way inferior to sorcs but rather both classes play different roles in healing.

With regards to making money, if i disclosed how I made my zeny and everyone started doing it I wouldn't be making much anymore would I? =( But honestly its not easy to make money as a priest since farming is a poor option. If you have a maxed profession however you might be able to make some profits here and there from what you make be its pots or items. (Anyway I leveled a dps character to farm for me and my guild supplies my food/pots etc so I don't really have any in game financial problems at the moment. =p)

This post has been edited by ggnoobnore: 22 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

#22 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I do agree that taking out 4 points in Meditatio will at most provide you with only 3 points in ArcAngel (due to the 1 point being used for the per-requiste skill: Angelus). However, the rationale why i'm comparing a lv 5 ArcAngel to a lv 5 Meditatio and Sacrament is because there's simply isn't any possibly more useful skill to invest in (in terms of achieving higher healing efficiency) as you can see from these 2 builds that have been posted thus far
1st build: Has lv 5 Meditatio, lv 5 Sacrament and a lv 2 Sanctuary
--> http://www.ro2skills...odDrfqnadeAboqN
2nd build: Has lv 1 Meditatio, lv 4 Sacrament, lv 1 Sanctuary and a lv 5 ArcAngel
--> http://www.ro2skills...odDrbqnadeBroqA

Now, i do believe that we all agree that a lv 1 Sanctuary is adequate and the extra lv here is simply an icing to top off an already adequate skill. So for the purpose of the discussion on overall healing efficiency (which i believe you are referring to spamming heals on tank with the use of Heal, Highness Heal and Renovatio), this skill should not be taken into consideration. As such, won't putting 1 more SP in AA as compared to Sanctuary be more effective?

Moving on, we see that the only REAL difference lies in the choice between a lv 5 Sacrament, lv 4 AA VS a lv 4 Sacrament/lv 5 AA.
Allow me to make it clear first that this choice (as we both agreed) is mainly up to individual's preference, belief and play-style.

Having said that, i shall try to quantify (albeit simplistic) the differences between these 2 options.
To start off:
The main question here is whether a 2% heal bonus is better than a 5% increase in MATK
Doing some calculation: Let M be the base Matk
1st option: lv 5 Sacrament, lv 4 ArcAngel : Heal lv 5 --> M x 1.20 x 0.43 x 1.10 = 0.5676M
2nd option: lv 4 Sacrament, lv 5 ArcAngel : Heal lv 5 --> M x 1.25 x 0.43 x 1.08 = 0.5805M

There will be a difference of 0.0129M, with the 2nd option being the higher one.
Also, when comparing these 2 options, the 1/3 uptime will be equally applicable, so the weighted difference will therefore only be 1/3 x 0.0129M = 0.0043M

Now the 2nd part of the question lies in what about the other 2/3 of the time where AA is not active?

1st option: lv 5 Sacrament: Heal lv 5 will provide 0.473M
2nd option: lv 4 Sacrament: Heal lv 5 will provide 0.4644M

Difference: 0.0086M, with the 1st option being the higher one. The weighted difference will then be 2/3 x 0.0086 = 0.00573333M

So in conclusion: taking the difference b/w the 2 differences:
We can see that the 1st option does prove to be slightly better as it provides 0.00143333M more Heal amount than option 2.

This is with the simplistic assumption that
1) Heal will be used non-stop
2) AA will be used as and when the CD is done and that
3) it does not take into account of any appreciation of situation at all.

I believe that most of the time, other than spamming heals on the tank, a good priest also have to appreciate the situation and act accordingly. As shared by Altariel,

1) Don't blindly spam the heal button on your tank. Hitting the button once per cast will do; hitting the button more than once per cast may result in a second heal on the tank which could go to another party member in need of it.

which i totally agree with. So if we are to consider the time required to appreciate the situation, the assumption that heal will be used non-stop and seamlessly will not be realistic at all. This will significantly bring down the overall heal % of the 1st option relative to the 2nd option, making the difference of 0.0014333M insignificant and perhaps not as effective than the 2nd option which imo incorporates the idea of appreciating the situation more effectively than the 1st option.

But as said before, i believe both of us agree that both options have their merits and that this 'theoretical' difference as i have illustrated is simply a reflection of my own belief and play-style.

As for regarding the effectiveness of Meditatio, i still believe its inferior by all means(currently) as i still do not see any potential benefits to it.

Regarding Sorcerer healing role, i believe i have stated somewhere in the forums before that imo, their overall healing capability is still by far better than us priest. (Will try to dig out later)
If you are to compare our skill trees, our most commonly used healing skills are almost identical (given some differences in MATK%).

I do agree that a Sorc and Priest can take up different healing role in the team.
But if i am to compare having 4 x Sorc in the raid team, 2 hybrid and 2 full support as compared to having 2 x Sorc and 2 x Priests (which i believe is the usual setup of a raid), the overall healing potential of the 4 x Sorc team will potentially be much higher.
As for the usage / role of priest, i believe its for handling contingencies, and being an expert in pulling out miraculous save (especially with skills such as Full heal, Assumptio and Comfirmed Crits) as well as to provide that free 15% hp boost.
In other words, priest has very little to offer and can be Easily overshadowed by a Sorc. Ironic as it may sound, but i believe that this is the truth.

Now, i know loot wise, having 4 x Sorc will not be friendly and most definitely not welcome but in terms of effectiveness, i think it will be much so.
Note: i have not tested out or seen a 4 x Sorc or more raid team before but i have seen 2 x Sorc doing RHM without any issue as long as one of the Sorc plays and acts like a full support priest.

Edit: Typos.. lol

This post has been edited by Justcalv: 22 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

#23 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

firstly, the MATK from archangel affects all healing spells as does sacrement which means sacrement should in most cases result in greater healing output, not just in cases with simplistic heal spamming. Although I do agree, archangel provides the versatility for contingency situations where additional healing may be required, ie raid members taking unecessary dmg.

For meditatio I agree with your point of view and have edited my guide to reflect the necessary changes. The small gains after the first level of meditatio do not scale well enough to outdo archangel and will be inferior for a long time to come.

Regarding sorcs, my farming character is a hybrid sorc and I feel that the healing power is not that strong. I might switch it over to full support some time and do some testing but I believe with good use of aspersio and cooldowns like coluceo/sanctuary a priest can match a sorc's healing output.

#24 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

And thanks for all the inputs and calculations guys! appreciate it!

and justcalv. would you consider taking 1 point from saffragium to place instead of archangel instead of sacrement? not sure about the math for this one.

This post has been edited by ggnoobnore: 22 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

#25 User is offline   JuMbOfaT 

• Pip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I was wondering between Sacrement AND Suffragium, which would you rather max out if I have to choose only 1 of them? And why?

No one replied to my question yet. =X

This post has been edited by Kramoh: 22 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

#26 User is offline   Justcalv 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Regarding whether to max Sacrament or Suffragium if given the choice of only one, i will personally tend towards Suffragium
Next, regarding whether it is better to take 1 point off Suffragium to add into ArcAngel or Sacrament, i believe that it is yet another matter of preference and play-style.
Personally, I will prefer lv 5 suffragium over an addtional point in either Arcangel or Sacrament.

In other words, suffragium is imo way more important than any of the 2 skills.
The reasons being:

Firstly, from a logical/gaming perspective, the haste effect from suffragium is VERY noticeable. In most dire situation, this split sec difference in cast time will more often than not save the tank or another team member.
Although its effect theoretically only affects those skill with cast time (Heal in the case of a full support build), in actuality it WILL also affect how well/effective you can react with your other instant cast skills such as Highness heal, Coluseo Heal etc
Take for example a common situation where you are BUSY healing the tank when suddenly your fellow raid member got hit heavily by adds or the boss aoe skill. That team member will be on the verge of dieing while you are still in the midst of casting heal on the tank...
With suffragium, you will COMPLETE the casting of your Heal skill faster (even if its a split second, it is nonetheless faster) and can immediately proceed to save that fellow members using either Assumptio, Coluseo Heal or wdev u deem is appropriate based on the situation.

-->Long story short...This split second advantage in cast time will help you save that raid member.

Secondly, even from the mathematical model perspective, Suffragium will still prove to be much more superior than any increment in ArcAngel or Sacrament.
Using the same basic assumptions as before, i will attempt to measure the heal efficiency per second using Heal lv 5 as the measurement standard.

Option 1: Lv 5 Sac, Lv 5 AA, Lv 4 Suff
Option 2: Lv 4 Sac, Lv 5 AA, Lv 5 Suff
Option 3: Lv 5 Sac, Lv 4 AA, Lv 5 Suff

Assuming no haste benefits from blue equips for all cases.

Control case: Lv 0 Suff: 1 Heal will take 1 sec to cast
--> Heal efficiency under option 1 (excluding the lv 4 suff) will be M*1.1*1.25*0.43 = 0.5913M
--> Heal efficiency under option 2 (excluding the lv 5 suff) will be = 0.5805M
--> Heal efficiency under option 3 (excluding the lv 5 suff) will be = 0.5676M

Option 1: Lv 4 Suff: 1 Heal will take 0.92 sec to cast
--> Heal efficiency under option 1 will be = 0.5913M / 0.92 = 0.6427M per sec

Option 2 & 3: Lv 5 Suff: 1 Heal will take 0.9 sec to cast
--> Heal efficiency under option 2 will be = 0.5805M / 0.90 = 0.6450M per sec
--> Heal efficiency under option 3 will be = 0.5676M / 0.90 = 0.6307M per sec

As seen from the results: Option 2 has the highest Heal amount per sec, followed by option 1 and option 3.
The differences between them isn't very significant but in conjunction with my first point, i believe that having a max lv Suff will still prove to be much more effective.

Note that i did not bother to use the weighted approach (as illustrated in the previous post) in comparing these skills as the difference is using such an approach is rather insignificant.
I also personally believe that this incredibly small difference is and can be easily compensated or refuted by the removal of the key assumptions in the model.

Note: As said earlier, this mathematical model is devised under a very simplistic model whereby one heal non-stop on a single target, CD of AA is used immediately etc which imo is not truly reflective of the real settings. It is however still a good ballpark estimate in comparing the effectiveness of the various skills and is nonetheless useful.

#27 User is offline   Shikamiji 

• Specialist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Great guide, totally appppppppprove! <3
RO1 isn't RO2, Stop comparing them or expecting the same features.

#28 User is offline   JuMbOfaT 

• Pip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

ty so much for the detailed reply!! =)

Than would u rather max angelus or leave it at lvl 1?

#29 User is offline   silvach 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hello :)

First of all I would like to say, this is nice quick guide that can help many of new priests get their role on good track.

Yet I was more absorbed by the discussion ongoing below the main topic, and I would like to state my opinion. I made a comprehensive guide to FS priest on other forum, and i sure will use it.

I would like to update your guide with a stat calculation. As far it's not "game breaking" it can still become a powerful tool that can be not really well used by many. Quoting myself -_-

3. Statistics

Ok. Thanks to Megingiord, my best friend and co-guildowner I got the formula which helps me calculate how much CRIT ill get with pumping agi on lvl 50.

the formula stands like this:

((AGI*4)/(400*(1.05^(Level-1))))*100

We also get 6.9 HP every single point in Vit and 2 MATK ever single point in INT.

As you can see getting only 2 stats is a waste.

I would recommend

36agi
36int
25vit

it gives us at lvl 50

3,29% Crit Chance
62 MATK
172,5 HP
and 2,5% more HP recovered per Potion.

For me, its better than pumping up agi int 41/41. With 41 agi u get 3,7% crit and 41 int gives u 82 MATK. You lose 172hp and hp recovery in process.

Secondly, Archangel or Mediatio? Well the choice is pretty simple. Below endgame gear I would choice Archangel every single day.

but if we believe in statistic, even with low gear the Mediato wins.

Lets assume we got:

1200 MATK
19% crit rate
23% haste (with saff)
13% vigor
97,79% hit

Heal takes 0,77 second to cast + ~0,5 second animation = 1,27 second
Aspersio takes about 0,5 second to cast
Aqua Benedicta takes about 1,5second to cast
Archengel takes 1second to cast

Aspersio can be recasted every 17,4 second
AB can be recasted every 52 seconds
Archengel can be recasted every 78,3 second

The battle take exactly 130 seconds.

You start with 3 HW.

You will be able to cast Aspersio 7 times during this fight. So you get 21 Crit Heals at least. (i assume best option for Mediatio)
you will be able to cast Heal 96 times.
You should crit with 35 times during this fight (21 aspersio heal, 14 by statistical chance).

35 crits, 61 normal heals.

Mediatio buff your Heal Crit Value by 28%

Heal is 516
Crit heal is 1176

You did 76652 of healing.

NOW WITH ARCHENGEL

It last for 30 second. We assume you use it on the very beginning of battle, which gives us possibility to recast it during the fight.

During first 30 seconds, you do:

Heal 23 times. 6 of it with Aspersio. Statisticaly 9 crits.

9 Crits, 14 normal heals

I divided battle on phases, and you are able to do this again after CD on archangel is down. We assume perfect battle order and using second archangel on 87second time of the fight, which gives us clear 2 aspersio casts.

So during the whole battle you will do 18 crits and 28 heals with Archengel.

17 normal crits
18 AA crits
33 normal heals
28 AA heals

MATK AA = 1500

Heal does 516
AA Heal does 645
Crit does 1032
AA Crit does 1290

You did 75852 healing

FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT INTERESTING IN CALCULATIONS

In 130 second fight u did:

Mediato: 76652 of healing.
Archengel: 75852 of healing

this is ofcourse perfect battle, with only Aspersio, AB, Heal usage.

I would still recommend Archangel, because the difference in PERFECT for Mediato battle is not high, and in uperfect battle AA wins every single time (assuming like we crit only 21 times).

AA wins for me.

#30 User is offline   ggnoobnore 

• Apprentice
  • PipPip

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hey thanks for the inputs silvach. I can see where you are coming from with the stats. I will make the necessary amendments to my guide. I was actually playing around with the idea of 36int 31agi 3vit but seems like 36int 36agi 25 vit is no doubt a solid build with the current gear available to players.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic